Saturday, May 12, 2007

Online Restaurant Reviews

I recently added a new feature to this blog: content feeds. See it there, down on the right side of the page? It automatically populates with content according to food-related keywords I've set up. So this morning I saw a link to an article about online restaurant reviews from MarketWatch. Apparently these reviews people keep posting are pretty powerful things, and are increasingly on the radar of more progressive restaurant owners. This article caught my eye for a few reasons. First, simply because it elevates online reviews, something about which I'm obviously intensely interested. Review sites like Zagat and Yelp leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion. The typically pithy review with short snippets of content doesn't do much for me, and there always seem to be equal parts of over the top good and bad review, always leaving a question of whose opinion to really trust.

The other reason this morning's article caught my eye is because it mentions a review of Kaze (read my review here), the sushi restaurant in our neighborhood that's near and dear to my heart. We love this place because it's so close to us, so much so that I recommended a review of it on WTTW's popular "Check, Please" show. And now, a confessional story. When we first moved here last summer I found and instantly loved Check, Please. I went to check out their Web site and filled out the form to be on the show, only to find out that 20,000 people enter to be on! I put it out of my mind until I got an email from the show's producer about 6 weeks ago, saying he liked my entry and was considering me for the new season. I even had a phone interview with another member of the show's production team, and told her why I love Kaze and would love to be part of the show. I was THRILLED to even be called. Everyone in the office watches! And I'd love to meet the very accomplished Kalpana Singh! I hesitated to write about the experience here on the blog, hoping I'd have a great success story to tell you readers about how I was going to be on the show, but alas alack I've heard nothing. It's been long enough that I think I'm finally going to have to admit that I'm not going to have my five minutes of fame. Well, it was exciting to think about while it lasted.

So for the time being I'm going to keep up my reviews here on the site for all to enjoy. Maybe I'll get the opportunity to share with a wider audience sometime in the future, but for now my reviews will remain a fun hobby. Thank you to those of you who are regular readers (my site tracking tells me that 30% of you are return visitors!) and please let me know how you think I'm doing!

No comments: