Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tasting Report: The Stew

To report back on this, I'd have to say I was ultimately disappointed in the results. After 8 hours of enjoyable smells filling both floors of our condo as we patiently waited until the evening to dig in, we filled our bowls and found the stew rather tasteless and desperately needing a more than generous amount of salt. The strong flavor of the Guinness that I was hoping would have permeated the meat and vegetables seemed to have simply simmered away. The sprigs of thyme added a little depth, but only a little.

Don't get me wrong--it wasn't terrible by any means, but it just wasn't all that different from any other beef stew. The beef was exceedingly tender and the vegetables had soaked up the true beef flavor after cooking together for such a long period. At the end of the day, I almost wonder if the concoction cooked too long?

If you've had a similar experience or know the secret for a more flavor infusion of Guinness into meat, please write and let me know.

No comments: