Monday, May 08, 2006

Our Neighborhood Bistro

I have a confession. We didn't even start out intending to go to Bangkok Bistro tonight, and to be honest we eat there with such regularity that I feel strange including it as a "review." We were headed for nearby Cumin but hadn't realized it was closed on Mondays. So being ultimately tired and lazy, we went for the next closest alternative and ended up at our old favorite. Seriously, we're probably there at least once a week at this point in our dual career lives, alternating between dining in and carrying out.

But we go there time and time again because it's consistently good. Whether we're in the mood for sushi, pad thai, or edamame, the menu at Bangkok covers a range of Asian food to suit our mood. It's also a special place for me because it's the site of our second date. First date, we went all out and did it up right at Boca. Second date, we went for the more friendly, neighborhood favorite of the Bistro. I vividly remember that second date, partly because of the excitement and optimism that surrounds a new relationship after a phenomenal first date, and partly because we ordered the sushi boat. That's right, I said boat. Much too much food for two people, and it comes extravagantly presented on a large wooden boat form that's sure to raise a few eyebrows, especially if you're sitting in one of the cafe tables that line the street like we were.

This evening, tired from a long day spent traveling, I was quite pleased to switch gears and go to one of our old favorites. I truly love starting my meal with the Hot and Sour Spicy Shrimp Soup (hmmm...I'm starting to see a trend here with me and spicy shrimp). The soup is a deliciously spicy broth flavored with sliced mushrooms and 3 large, whole shrimp. It's a healthy portion, and tonight I enjoyed mine so much that I had trouble getting down much of my Drunken Noodle entree. Peter enjoyed his regular dish, Pork Pad Thai, though he didn't have quite as much left over. But that's the beauty of almost all the dishes at Bangkok Bistro--they're perfect as tomorrow's lunch, midnight snacks, or just to finish right there and then at the table with a satisfying pat of the belly.

I didn't have the sushi tonight, but I frequently do. No, it's not the quality of Beluga, but it doesn't cost nearly as much either.

I'm sure we'll be back again next week. And hopefully as many weeks as we're married.

_________________________

The damage: $70 for four entrees, and three of us had large bowls of soup to start. Plus, we've all got lunch taken care of for tomorrow.

Watch out for: service can be inconsistent.

Food: 4 out of 5 forks.

Romance: 4 out of 5 kisses (but I'm biased).

Bangkok Bistro
3506 Erie Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45208
(513) 871-0707

No comments: